Sunday, June 19, 2011

Super 8 : A Classic Summer Blockbuster

I liked Super 8, but it was definitely a Netflix or Redbox movie. I would not recommend it to someone on a budget. Your money could be better spent on another summer movie like X:Men: First Class or maybe Green Lantern. I’m going to see it tonight!

Super 8 reminded me of one of those movies my mom and dad would rent in the 80’s and make a big deal about it because it was a Steven Spielberg movie (I found out later that it actually was..LOL),but when you watched it, it was more about family strife or tension and how they resolved it then action. I agree with the reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes that it was a little bit too reminiscent of classic summer blockbuster movies for me.

Overall, it's a good story and there is action, but action is not the main focus in this movie; family and friends are. Pretty much I would say the movie was "The Sandlot" meets "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" meets "Godzilla"! And I am not talking about today’s Godzilla, but the Godzilla movies of the 80’s.

Super 8 Trailer



I want to point out that I specifically liked the beginning of the movie. It was unique and it really helped to get the suspense going, but then the action takes a break to deal with family and relationships. Oh, and I did like seeing there were several African American actors in the movie. Usually minorities specifically people of color get one role, if that, per movie.

If you do decide to go see Super 8, go with a loved one or a good friend. It really is a family oriented movie. ET phone home!


No comments:

Post a Comment